Basic Information on Activities: Vincent C. Müller
The point of this website is to support cooperation, not to advertise myself, but some information may be useful.
Apart from a lot of teaching and academic research, I also do some other things :
(I also occasionally have what is called "a life", but that is a different matter.)
- Academic Project Work
- Principal Investigator for 'ethical implications' in the "Digitial Do-It-Yourself" (DIDIY) project - with one post-doc, Alexandre Erler. DIDIY is a H2020 research project that runs 2015-2017.
Chair of the euRobotics (European Association for Robotics) and SPARC topics group on 'ethical, legal, and socio-economic issues'.
Co-Chair of the IEEE 'Robots and Automation Society' technical committee on Robot Ethics, together with Rob Sparrow.
Advisory Board of projects:
- REELER - Responsible Ethical Learning with Robotics, H2020, 2017-19
- RAMSES - Internet Forensic platform for tracking the money flow of financially-motivated malware, H2020, FCT-2015, 2016-19
- COCOON - Emotion psychology meets cyber-physical security in IoT smart homes, Chist-ERA 2016-18
- BYTE - The big data roadmap and cross disciplinary community for addressing social externalities, FP7 2014-16
- Coordinator of EUCog network (2009-2014, 3,9 mil. €), the "European Network for the Advancement of Artificial Cognitive Systems, Interaction and Robotics". This network consists of about 1000 European researchers in artificial cognitive systems and is supported by the European Commission through two FP7 projects, for 3 years each.
- Management Committee member for Greece of TIMELY, "Time In MEntaL activitY: theoretical, behavioral, bioimaging and clinical perspectives". TIMELY is a EU "Cooperation in Science and Technology" COST action that runs 4 years (2010-2014).
I edit the section on "Robot Ethics in PhilPapers (the standard bibliographical tool in philosophy).
- Conference Guide
- Organizing Academic Events
- PT-AI 2017, Leeds (planned)
- With R. Chrisley, Y. Sandamirskaya, M. Vincze: EUCog 2016 - European Society for Cognitive Systems conference "Cognitive Robot Architectures", Vienna, 8-9 December 2016
(Co-organiser) "Digital DIY Community Day", Barcelona, 6 July 2016
- With Alessandro Saffiotti et al.: European Robotics Forum: Workshop "AI and Cognition in EU Robotic
Projects: Current Landscape and Future Priorities", Ljubljana, 22 March 2016
- With Christophe Leroux: European Robotics Forum: Workshop "Ethical, Legal and Social issues", Ljubljana, 22 March 2016
- With Ron Chrisley: EUCog Members' Conference "Social and Ethical Aspects of Cognitive Systems", Brighton, 23-24 October 2013
- PT-AI 2013, "Philosophy and Theory of Artificial Intelligence", Oxford, 20-21 September 2013
- With Luisa Damiano, SMLC 2013 workshop on the "Synthetic Modeling of Life and Cognition: Open Questions", Bergamo, 12-14 September 2013
- With Antoni Gomila: EUCog Members' Conference "Learning", Palma de Mallorca, 10-11 April 2013 (in connection with the NoE Pascal2)
- With Nick Bostrom et al.: Impacts and Risks of Artificial General Intelligence (AGI-Impacts), Oxford, 10-11 December 2012
- With Tom Ziemke: EUCog Members' Meeting "Soft Robotics", Odense, 25-26 August 2012 (in connection with www.sab2012.org)
- With Aladdin Ayesh: Symposium "Revisiting Turing and his Test: Comprehensiveness, Qualia, and the Real World". At the AISB/IACAP World Congress 2012, July 2nd to 6th, 2012
- With Markus Vincze: Workshop "Robotics and Cognition" European Robotics Forum, Odense, 7 March 2012
- With Markus Vincze: EUCog Members' Conference "Does Robotics need Cognition - Does Cognition need Robotics?", Vienna, 23-24 February 2012 (in connection with CogSys2012)
EUCogII Workshop "Challenges for Cognitive Systems II", Oxford, 20-22 January 2012
- With Mirjana Maleska: VII International Student Conference, Borjan Tanevski Memorial Fund "The role of Youth in European Society", Tetovo, 28-30 October 2011
- With Tjeerd Andringa: EUCogII Members' Conference on "Autonomous activity in real-world environments", Groningen, 10-11 October 2011
- PT-AI 2011, Conference on Philosophy and Theory of AI, Thessaloniki, 3-4 October 2011
- EUCogII Members' Conference on "Embodiment - Fad or Future?", Thessaloniki, 11-12 April 2011
- With Fabio Bonsignorio: "EUCogII-Euron Workshop: Challenges, Good Experimental Methodology & Benchmarking" at the "euRobotics Forum 2011" in Västerås, 8 April 2011
- With Antoni Gomila: EUCogII Workshop "Challenges for Cognitive Systems", Rapperswil, 28-30 January 2011
- ... and various other events prior to 2011
- Other Activities
- Website "Jobs in Philosophy" worldwide (since 1996; formerly a part of "PhilNet").
- Organization of the Borjan Tanevski Memorial Fund, esp. of an annual essay competition and an annual student conference since 2004, alternating between Skopje and Thessaloniki. (One of the very few activities between the two countries.)
- Philosophical colloquium in Thessaloniki, "Philosophy on the
Hill" (in English and Greek) - currently dormant.
- Mountaineering Club at ACT
- Chair of the Department of Philosophy & Social Sciences at ACT (2000-2004).
- Center for the Greek Language of the Greek Ministry of Education: Managing projects, developing software for
dictionary editing, dictionaries on the WWW and concordance making of G. Seferis' poems
P.S.: Despite having web sites online since the very early days of the WWW (1993), I had always resisted making a page about me - but it now appears that such a site is useful for academic communication and cooperation (rather than just blatant self-promotion). This site was initially developed for my students on the Intranet (in 1999) but the teaching material is now on the Moodle system. The site was first made publicly available on the WWW in October 2007.
Incidentally, if you see fleeting grey dots at the intersections of the whites lines on these pages, especially the homepage, there is nothing wrong with your eyes; it's a version of the well known grid illusion, first described by L. Hermann in 1870.