Basic Information on Activities: Vincent C. Müller
Conferences & Workshops
Jobs, Funding, Administration, Greek, and Mountaineering
The point of this website is to support cooperation, not to advertise myself1, but some information may be useful.
Apart from a lot of teaching and academic research, I also do some other things :
(I also occasionally have what is called "a life", but that is a different matter.)
Academic Project Work
- Principal Investigator in the "Inclusive Robotics for a better Society" (INBOTS) EU H2020 project, running 2018-2020.
Chair of the euRobotics (European Association for Robotics) and SPARC topics group on 'ethical, legal, and socio-economic issues'.
Co-Chair of the IEEE 'Robots and Automation Society' technical committee on Robot Ethics, together with Rob Sparrow.
Advisory Board of projects:
- e-SIDES - ethical and societal impact of data sciences, H2020, 2017-19
- REELER - Responsible Ethical Learning with Robotics, H2020, 2017-19
- RAMSES - Internet Forensic platform for tracking the money flow of financially-motivated malware, H2020, FCT-2015, 2016-19
- COCOON - Emotion psychology meets cyber-physical security in IoT smart homes, Chist-ERA 2016-18
- BYTE - The big data roadmap and cross disciplinary community for addressing social externalities, FP7 2014-16
- Principal Investigator for 'ethical implications' in the "Digitial Do-It-Yourself" (DIDIY) project - with one post-doc, Alexandre Erler. DIDIY is a H2020 research project that ran 2015-2017.
- Coordinator of EUCog network (2009-2014, 3,9 mil. €), the "European Network for the Advancement of Artificial Cognitive Systems, Interaction and Robotics". This network consists of about 1000 European researchers in artificial cognitive systems and is supported by the European Commission through two FP7 projects, for 3 years each.
- Management Committee member for Greece of TIMELY, "Time In MEntaL activitY: theoretical, behavioral, bioimaging and clinical perspectives". TIMELY is a EU "Cooperation in Science and Technology" COST action that runs 4 years (2010-2014).
- I edit the section on "Robot Ethics in PhilPapers (the standard bibliographical tool in philosophy).
Organizing Academic Conferences or Workshops
- With R. Chrisley, Y. Sandamirskaya, M. Vincze: EUCog 2016 - European Society for Cognitive Systems conference "Cognitive Robot Architectures", Vienna, 8-9 December 2016
(Co-organiser) "Digital DIY Community Day", Barcelona, 6 July 2016
- With Alessandro Saffiotti et al.: European Robotics Forum: Workshop "AI and Cognition in EU Robotic
Projects: Current Landscape and Future Priorities", Ljubljana, 22 March 2016
- With Christophe Leroux: European Robotics Forum: Workshop "Ethical, Legal and Social issues", Ljubljana, 22 March 2016
- With Ron Chrisley: EUCog Members' Conference "Social and Ethical Aspects of Cognitive Systems", Brighton, 23-24 October 2013
- PT-AI 2013, "Philosophy and Theory of Artificial Intelligence", Oxford, 20-21 September 2013
- With Luisa Damiano, SMLC 2013 workshop on the "Synthetic Modeling of Life and Cognition: Open Questions", Bergamo, 12-14 September 2013
- With Antoni Gomila: EUCog Members' Conference "Learning", Palma de Mallorca, 10-11 April 2013 (in connection with the NoE Pascal2)
- With Nick Bostrom et al.: Impacts and Risks of Artificial General Intelligence (AGI-Impacts), Oxford, 10-11 December 2012
- With Tom Ziemke: EUCog Members' Meeting "Soft Robotics", Odense, 25-26 August 2012 (in connection with www.sab2012.org)
- With Aladdin Ayesh: Symposium "Revisiting Turing and his Test: Comprehensiveness, Qualia, and the Real World". At the AISB/IACAP World Congress 2012, July 2nd to 6th, 2012
- With Markus Vincze: Workshop "Robotics and Cognition" European Robotics Forum, Odense, 7 March 2012
- With Markus Vincze: EUCog Members' Conference "Does Robotics need Cognition - Does Cognition need Robotics?", Vienna, 23-24 February 2012 (in connection with CogSys2012)
EUCogII Workshop "Challenges for Cognitive Systems II", Oxford, 20-22 January 2012
- With Mirjana Maleska: VII International Student Conference, Borjan Tanevski Memorial Fund "The role of Youth in European Society", Tetovo, 28-30 October 2011
- With Tjeerd Andringa: EUCogII Members' Conference on "Autonomous activity in real-world environments", Groningen, 10-11 October 2011
- PT-AI 2011, Conference on Philosophy and Theory of AI, Thessaloniki, 3-4 October 2011
- EUCogII Members' Conference on "Embodiment - Fad or Future?", Thessaloniki, 11-12 April 2011
- With Fabio Bonsignorio: "EUCogII-Euron Workshop: Challenges, Good Experimental Methodology & Benchmarking" at the "euRobotics Forum 2011" in Västerås, 8 April 2011
- With Antoni Gomila: EUCogII Workshop "Challenges for Cognitive Systems", Rapperswil, 28-30 January 2011
- 2001-2003, Philosophical colloquium in Thessaloniki, "Philosophy on the
Hill" (in English and Greek).
- ... and various other events prior to 2011
Jobs, Funding, Administration, Greek, and Mountaineering
- Website "Jobs in Philosophy" worldwide (since 1996; formerly a part of "PhilNet").
- Organization of the Borjan Tanevski Memorial Fund, esp. of an annual essay competition and an annual student conference since 2004, alternating between Skopje and Thessaloniki. (One of the very few activities between the two countries.)
- Mountaineering Club at ACT
- Chair of the Department of Philosophy & Social Sciences at ACT (2000-2004).
- Center for the Greek Language of the Greek Ministry of Education: Managing projects, developing software for
dictionary editing, dictionaries on the WWW and concordance making of G. Seferis' poems
- June 2018 - Invited talk, "Robots and Persons", Annual Congress of the Canadian Philosophical Association, workshop Éthique et intelligence artificielle, 4-6.06.18, Montréal, Canada
- May 2018 - Invited talk, "Morphological X", conference Foundations of Cyber-physical Computation: Morphological and Embodied Computing, Gothenburg, 7-8.05.2018, Sweden.
- April 2018 - Invited talk, "Brain Surveillance", UK Mind Network, 19-20.04.2018, Edinburgh
- March 2018 - Invited talk, "Privacy in Big Data Analytics under Opacity?", Ethics and Innovation workshop, 25-26.3.18, University of Warwick
- February 2018 - "Real Machine Ethics", workshop Phronesis Robophilosophy 2018, 14-17.02.18, Vienna.
- February 2018 - Invited talk "Brain Surveillance", University of Leeds Philosophy Society, 05.02.18.
- December 2017 - Keynote talk, "Brain Surveillance", Conference Ethics and Artificial Intelligence 04.12.2017, Agder/Kristianssand, Norway
- November 2017 - Invited panelist on the movie "Ex Machina", Ypsilon Events, Thessaloniki, 23.11.17.
- November 2017 - Invited panelist, EUCognition "Learning beyong deep neural networks", Zurich
- November 2017 - Invited talk "Brain Surveillance", Centre for Ethics and Metaethics, CEM seminar, Leeds, 1.11.2017
- October 2017 - Invited talk "In 30 Schritten zum Mond? Fortschritt in der KI", 6.10.2017, Cologne Futures, Institut für Medien- und Kommunikationspolitik, Cologne.
- September 2017 - Invited talk "Morphology in the orchestration of behaviour: A causal role for computation?" Workshop Morphological Computation 12.09.2017, Santa Fe Institute, NM, USA.
- August 2017 - Invited paper, "10th Advanced Scientific Programming in Python Summer School", "Future Progress of AI: In 30 Steps to the Moon?", 31.08.2017, Nikiti, Greece.
- August 2017 - Two Keynotes at Beijing Institute of Technology, workshop "Human and Machine Learning", 16-17.08.17, "Which symbol grounding problem should we try to solve?" & "Future progress in AI: In 30 Steps to the Moon?", Beijing, China.
- August 2017 - Keynote at ICISTS 2017 conference, 01.08.17., "Future progress in artificial intelligence", KAIST, Daejeon, Korea.
- June 2017 - Invited paper at IDEA-CETL conference Big Data: ethical issues at the face of research, Privacy in big data analytics under opacity? Leeds 27-28.06.17.
- June 2017 - Paper "The digital goes 3D - and what are the risks?", 20th conference of the Society for Philosophy and Technology, Darmstadt, www.philosophie.tu-darmstadt.de/spt2017/, 14-17.06.17.
- May 2017 - Invited paper, LIDA Leeds Critical Data Studies Group, "Privacy in big data analytics under opacity?" 11.5.17.
- April 2017 - Invitation only panel & think tank AI and autonomous driving, with Audi Executive Committee, Ingolstadt & Munich, 27-28.04.17.
- April 2017 - Invited Panelist at IEEE Forum for and with European Parliament members "Civil Law Rules on Robotics: Prioritizing Human Well-being in the Age of Artificial Intelligence", 11.04.17, Brussels.
- April 2017 - IDEA research seminar, "Brain surveillance", Leeds, 05.04.17.
- April 2017 - Invited public presentation, "Privacy in big data analytics? Not under opacity" St. Mary's University, London, 03.04.2017.
- February 2017 - Invited paper, Privacy in Big Data Analytics? Not under Opacity BYTE conference, London, 09.02.2017.
1. Despite having web sites online since the very early days of the WWW (1993), I had always resisted making a page about me - but it now appears that such a site is useful for academic communication and cooperation (rather than just blatant self-promotion). This site was initially developed for my students on the Intranet (in 1999) but the teaching material is now on the Moodle system. The site was first made publicly available on the WWW in October 2007.
Incidentally, if you see fleeting grey dots at the intersections of the whites lines on these pages, especially the homepage, there is nothing wrong with your eyes; it's a version of the well known grid illusion, first described by L. Hermann in 1870.